What is a mentor?
Mentors are experienced people who want to share their knowledge with new hackers and help them get through different roadblocks. They help new hackers make their dreams a reality by helping them during the event. However, mentors do not participate at the hackathon like other hackers do and therefore, they can’t submit any project.
Which are my responsabilities as a mentor?
During the event, we expect mentors to:
- Act as helpers, moving from group to group and helping hackers with any questions or roadblocks they have. However, mentors can’t submit a project or contribute in a team’s project in such a way that a project is mainly his/her work. Their task is to guide and help teams to carry on their own projects.
- Help hackers building their team at the team building event, which takes place at the beginning of the hackathon.
- Be present most of the time. The hackathon starts at 9.00 p.m. on Friday and ends at 9.00 a.m. on Sunday. It is not necessary to assist the whole event, but we encourage everyone to be highly available.
- Check out help requests through our communication channels:
- Messages from the #mentors Slack channel.
- Requests from the mentors mobile App.
You will receive all the details with respect to these tasks once you get to the hackathon.
Which benefits do I get?
We want you to live a great hackathon experience. As a mentor, you will be able to:
- Assist to all workshops and tech talks taking place during the event.
- Access to the Lobby, a reserved area for volunteers and mentors where you can hang out and have some rest.
- Have full meals from Friday dinner to Sunday lunch, including all kind of snacks and drinks.
- Access to sleeping rooms with air mattresses and showers.
- Get exclusive swag of the event: t-shirts, bags, stickers, sponsors merchandising.
Is there an official schedule?
We are still working on our final schedule, and if you are selected as a mentor, we will let you know the details. In advance, you should consider the main timeline of the event, although Hacker registration is still not definitive:
- Friday 3.00 p.m.: Hacker registration
- Friday 7.00 p.m.: Opening ceremony
- Friday 9.00 p.m.: Hack starts!
- Sunday 9.00 a.m.: Hack ends!
- Sunday 10.00 a.m.: Demo fair
- Sunday 2.00 p.m.: Closing ceremony
What if I have any doubts?
All mentors will be previously instructed about their tasks and the event details once they’re accepted. We will let you know through e-mail when we have made this decision.
Once you are officially a mentor, you will receive more information about the event details, and our organizing team will teach you how to develop the mentorship task during the event.
Meanwhile if you have any question please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you very much! See you at HackUPC :)